Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Snowbound

If you are snowbound like we are, you would have the time to read John Greenleaf Whittier's poem "Snowbound." I thought to post it here, but alas, it is quite long. I do appreciate this verse from Emerson's "The Snow Storm" which is just as fitting:
    "Announced by all the trumpets of the sky,
    Arrives the snow, and, driving o'er the fields,
    Seems nowhere to alight: the whited air
    Hides hills and woods, the river and the heaven,
    And veils the farm-house at the garden's end.
    The sled and traveller stopped, the courier's feet
    Delayed, all friends shut out, the housemates sit
    Around the radiant fireplace, enclosed
    In a tumultuous privacy of Storm."
    Emerson,The Snow Storm.
They first said we would be somewhere between 6"-12" of snow. Then they changed it to 8"-14". When I went to bed at 1:30 this morning, the snow was still falling, and the weatherman said that the snowfall would slow down from 2" per hour to .25-.50" per hour which would give us about 4" through the night. When we woke up this morning, it was still snowing...so much for stopping at 4am. The total so far is 15.5". Quite a bit of stinkin' snow, especially for the first storm of the year. Nothing like...easing your way into the winter.Husband is home for the day, so this is the most serious storm we have weathered together. Probably the fact that the roads aren't plowed would make it difficult for any customer traffic at the store. I am cracking my whip here at home! As long as he is here, I do need help lifting things and getting the house a bit more ship shape. After all, as anyone knows me well enough, I do like to run a tight ship. Plus, it somehow makes me feel good when I hear him exclaiming at the piles of dog puke, or uncovering another art form on one of our beautifully painted walls, that is about 3' high. It just makes the burden easier to bear with Husband close at hand.I did spoil us last night, with a rather gourmet, but completely nourishing meal for dinner. On tonight's menu, he will be glad he stayed home as well. As if I need to tell anyone about my latest obsession over food, I have decided that I do need a space to journal as I am learning. So I am starting a new blog site for all of the strange and non-conformist things I am learning and desperately trying to implement in our home. The name of the new blog is It's Your Nourishing Density. The inspiration for this title comes from the line from Back to the Future when George McFly tells Lorraine "You are my density...no you are my destiny."

Update since posting earlier: More photos of this storm. It will be historic. We just don't typically get 16" of snow. It just isn't normal. The last storm of this proportion (according to the weather people) was in 2001. I was a junior in college, and I do remember classes getting canceled, and just staying at the Towers complex. The issue of snow removal never crossed my mind. We now wrap our outdoor exposure around the snow removal and if and how the dogs can get outside. Caesar was captured, just watching out the window, and the snow is higher than his stature. Husband, is suited up and ready to be digging. He is planning on writing a bit of an article about why snow shovels are Republicans and snow blowers are Democrats. Can't wait to hear what he has to say...And finally, our front walk. Need I say more?

No comments: