Monday, November 3, 2008

578 other things to do

With my two busy little babies and my two little part time jobs, and a beautiful day to enjoy I chose to spend some time making (what I hope to be) a statement. Two nights ago some vandals swiped my yard sign out of my yard. Jake and I had a bet that they would get stolen either Thursday or Friday night since it was beggar's night and Halloween respectively. I asked Jake to bring in our $1 pumpkin and the yard signs that I so painstakingly acquired in support of our choice for presidential candidate. Since Jake is a gambling man, he felt the odds were in his favor if the signs got stolen, so he left them out.Sunday morning they were swiped and we were both aggravated, to say the least. This is our yard, and our private property. We just notice and ignore the Obama yard signs, and are astonished and cheer at the McCain signs in our neighborhood. I have never had any intention of destroying anyone's signs, just like I don't decapitate reindeer at Christmas time. So I made my new sign, for just one more day of exposure, and I have noticed that people are slowing down on our usually busy street. I am hearing the cars slow down and realize that there are break lights so that they can read my sign that now sticks out like a sore thumb.Yesterday in church, I was so thankful to hear the elder say, "If Barak Obama wins the election, our country will be fine. If John McCain wins the election, our country will be fine." He encouraged us to do our civic duty and vote, but "The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whiterhsoever he will." Proverbs 21:1

1 comment:

Erika said...

I'm so glad the election is over. For better or for worse, we have a new president who could use our prayers. Thanks for sharing what your elder shared in church. We often need those reminders, huh?